Monday, September 8, 2014

Clutter

"Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on." Eckhart Tolle




Letting go of just small things in my life has been a little on the difficult side. Those Depression-Era parents of mine left an indelible mark on how I deal with money, relationships and even how to rid myself of clutter, physical and otherwise. 

After a few months, I have learned how to work with most of my issues that have led to a more positive and calm life..but clutter is apparently my Achilles heel. 

One has clutter of different levels. Friends/family, habits, finances and just plain junk. 

I have done well in removing the people, finances are working well with strict planners and budgets, and removing of weight has actually been a snap (surprisingly). The new attitude has been a work in process but even that is going pretty well.

But that pesky cleaning of actual clutter hasn't been so easy. I used to believe that if you have had it for over 5 years, then it's time to be rid of it. However, that is not too easy when dealing with certain things given to me from my parents and grandparents. 

I was raised in a wealthy home where crystal perfume decanters and silk pajamas were normal gifts as a teenager. I've traveled to major parts of the world due to my military officer father so accruing 'things' was the norm. 

Well I am not so wealthy as an older married lady. The parents are gone and yet I'm left with small tokens of a lifetime. It is quite hard to just de-clutter a lifetime. I've read all of the articles for help and it's none. These items don't make me feel guilty, or bad or suffocating. 

Then, there is that Depression-Era ideology that you don't throw away anything useful or useable. How does one get past generations of training? 

Maybe sometimes you just don't. After 50 years, some belief systems you just don't abandon. Maybe it's a way to hold on or remember those you held so dear and maybe you just like those ideals. 

At the moment I have a shed filled with this type of stuff. I wish someone would magically just show up and say, "I want that!" Then I would be okay if it went to a good home. Silly I know. 

If I can get rid of unnecessary people, bad spending habits and even weight, why is this so hard? 

A new mindset apparently is needed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Castle Part 3

Part Three How she hated being the odd man out; the who one who always knew they were talking about her yet but their eyes, their man...