Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Old? Me?




 




I've been having a rough go of it lately.  Recently, the long list of medical problems that I have had all of my life, has come home to roost. I suppose that is what happens as you age; all the problems that you thought were insignificant show up all at the same time when you hit a certain age.

When I say that, I don't know one shows up here and then another a few years later. Ooooh nooo, I mean BOOM BABY!   All of them at the same time, year, month, week, day and hour.  And it's never gradual; it's painful and abrupt boys and girls. When they say G-d has a sense of humor, they are not kidding. Humor to G-d (or Gods/Goddess..whichever you prefer). It pretty much suck at your end.

I know this because it has happened to every female member of my family. The men? No so much; they pretty much either get the big C or die in their sleep when they are like 100. 

I know you who are much younger than I are laughing or smiling. Just wait, it'll come for you too.

I have always known about my ailments since I was quite young but few surfaced and those who did, were quiet in their approach.   I was born with a congenital hip with promises of osteoarthritis in my future, and by the way, you have spondylisis and spondylithesis but that'll show up later. Then my college years were beset with Lupus.

I knew that they were there but never thought much about it because there was no pain.

HOWEVER....When I turned 50...boy howdy! 

Pain in the knees, legs, ankles, feet, shoulder,upper back, lower back, etc etc etc.  I refused to give in and popped a lot of Tylenol and kept saying, "I am not in pain. I am not becoming disabled' over and over again. All the while there were more and more things that I couldn't do; simple things. Bend, reaching, WALKING.

I guess when I took my husband in for his appointment due to his own disability due to Diabetes and I was speaking to the rep did I realize that I was ...dis-abled.  She asked me, when seeing me limp and walk like I was 110, what was wrong and I told her.

She looked at me in shock and said, "Why aren't you applying for disability?"  The only reply I could give her was that I was stubborn!  The fact is we don't like admitting to age, pain or not being able to do what we could do in our, 40's.

It means we're getting 'old' and in the U.S. that is never good. While other countries mostly treat thier seniors with respect and honor, Americans treat their older citizens as if we were a stray mutt.  The feeling of being helpless when I'm not. I have four degrees!  I went to college on an atheletic scholarship. I've traveled the world with charity organizations to help the poor and helpless. Yet being labeled disabled leave a mark of you are the literary albatross that need to be put out of your misery.And the pain is the exact sign that I was not looking for.

Remember these words. For, it doesn't matter how much Botox, diets or fad whatever you do, we can not stop progress or lack of. Or move to Europe or even Israel. And live your days in happiness and not dread of future days to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

THE CASTLE Part 2

The Castle Part 2 “Walk with me” The elderly gentleman extended his hand to the young Victoria. She turned to see the attendants...